After nearly two weeks of free agency, the 49ers – as expected – have not filled any of their most pressing needs. There have not been an abundance of quality players on the free-agent market, and the 49ers’ first priority is to spend its money on signing some of their young stars to contract extensions.
The 49ers, just as a year ago at this time, need an offensive tackle. And they still need to add a player (or two) with return capabilities. Look for the 49ers to address those areas in the draft.
It would be a surprise if the 49ers do not take an offensive tackle in the first round of the draft. More than likely, they could address it at No. 13. Of course, what they do with No. 13 will influence their pick at No. 17.
Assuming one of those picks is a tackle, where do the 49ers go from there? The most likely targets would be defensive line, outside pass rusher or a defensive back.
With that in mind, here’s my feeble attempt at my Dumb Guy Mock Draft 2.0. And, please, as always, hold your laughter until the end:
1. Rams – Sam Bradford, QB,
2. Lions – Ndamukong Suh, DT,
3. Bucs – Gerald McCoy, DT,
4. Redskins – Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame: Mike Shanahan did not inherit John Elway this time, so he has to go find his guy.
5. Chiefs – Jason Pierre-Paul, DE,
6. Seahawks – Russell Okung, OT,
7. Browns – Eric Berry, S,
8. Raiders – Anthony Davis, OT,
9. Bills – Bryan Bulaga, OT,
10. Jaguars – Dez Bryant, WR,
11. Broncos – Rolando McClain, LB,
12. Dolphins – Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech: Joey Porter is out, and in comes Morgan to bring his nice pass-rush skills.
13. 49ers – Trent Williams, OT,
14. Seahawks – C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson: Pete Carroll gets a nice toy to help in the run game, pass game and – on occasion – special teams.
15. Giants – Joe Haden, CB,
16. Titans – Dan Williams, DT,
17. 49ers – Kyle Wilson, CB,
18. Steelers – Mike Iupati, OG,
19. Falcons – Earl Thomas, S,
20. Texans – Ryan Matthews, RB,
21. Bengals –
22. Patriots – Brandon Graham, DE/OLB,
23. Packers – Charles Brown, OT, USC: Athletic pass protector will be asked to protect Aaron Rodgers’ blind side for a long time.
24. Eagles –
25. Ravens – Brian Price, DT, UCLA: Another stout body on the line to keep blockers off aging Ray Lewis.
26. Cardinals – Maurkice Pouncey, C,
27. Cowboys – Jerry Hughes, LB, TCU: Talented pass rusher is too good to pass up at this spot.
28. Chargers – Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech: Although tempted to take Jahvid Best, they need a bigger, more durable back for first and second downs.
29. Jets – Terrence Cody, DT,
30. Vikings – Devin McCourty, CB,
31. Colts – Rodger Saffold, G, Indiana: The Colts look close to home to find some help up front for Peyton Manning.
32. Saints – Jared Odrick, DT,
* * *
Here was my first mock attempt, pre-combine.
* * *