SANTA CLARA – Here’s what stood out to me during the 49ers’ 12th training-camp practice, which lasted a little longer than an hour.
THE NOT SO GOOD
1. QB Colin Kaepernick. Didn’t throw a pass for the third practice in a row, yet somehow still seemed better than Blaine Gabbert.
2. QB Blaine Gabbert. Completed just 5-of-12 passes during team drills. Threw a ground ball to Dres Anderson on the first play of 11-on-11s. Underthrew a deep pass to DeAndrew White on third-and-8. Threw a short pass over Aaron Burbridge’s head on second-and-3. Threw a long pass over White’s head on third-and-10 in the red zone, and threw an interception to Gerald Hodges in the end zone two plays later. Also struggled throwing accurate swing passes to running backs during warmups. Seemed to alter his mechanics every time he passed the ball. Sometimes he’d transfer his weight; other times he’d use all arm. Sometimes he’d plant his back foot on the ground; other times he’d lift his back foot and do a little hop before releasing the ball. Sometimes he’d throw over the top; other times he’d throw side arm. Pick a motion and stick to it, Blaine.
3. CB Rashard Robinson. Sat out team drills with an unknown injury.
4. WR Quinton Patton. Sat out team drills with an unknown injury.
5. WR Bruce Ellington. Sat out the entire practice with an ankle injury
6. DE Arik Armstead. An injured shoulder forced him to miss his fourth practice of the past two weeks. That’s one third of training camp.
1. QB Jeff Driskel. Completed 8-of-11 passed during team drills, including a deep pass down the seam to tight end Blake Bell. Driskel often looks terrific during practice, but during Sunday’s preseason game he seemed overwhelmed by the speed of the NFL. He will need to time adjust.
2. DE Ronald Blair. Unblockable during 1-on-1 pass-rushing drills. Blew by Ian Silberman and Norman Price, neither of whom laid a finger on Blair.
3. ILB Ray Ray Armstrong. Chased down Dres Anderson on a crossing route and broke up the pass intended for the young wide receiver. Armstrong seems like the favorite to start next to NaVorro Bowman at inside linebacker Week 1.