SANTA CLARA – Here are the highlights of the 49ers’ eighth padded practice of training camp.
1. RB Reggie Bush. Didn’t play during Saturday’s preseason game against the Texans, and may not play at all during the preseason – the coaches seem to want to keep him healthy. But, from the looks of practice, Bush will play a lot during the regular season. Today he had a team-leading 11 touches during seven-on-sevens and 11-on-11s.
2. RG Brandon Thomas. Stood his ground twice against Tony Jerod-Eddie, and once against Darnell Dockett during one-on-one pass-rush drills. It seems only a matter of time before the coaches officially name Thomas the starting right guard.
3. ILB Shayne Skov. Intercepted undrafted rookie quarterback Dylan Thompson twice during team drills.
4. TE Rory ‘Busta’ Anderson. Reached out with his left arm and made a one-handed catch in front of safety Jimmie Ward, who participated in team drills today for the first time.
5. RB Kendall Hunter. Also participated in team drills today for the first time. Received a couple of carries with the first-team offense, and seems like a lock to make the 53-man roster.
THE NOT SO GOOD
1. DT Tank Carradine. Almost got in a fight on the sideline with a defensive lineman who appeared to be Mike Purcell. Whatever Carradine’s issue was, he wouldn’t give it up and teammates had to step in and tell him to walk away.
2. QB Colin Kaepernick’s deep passes. Attempted two and underthrew both of them during team drills. First, Kaepernick underthrew Torrey Smith, who was double-covered and not open. Smith had to break stride, jump and bat the pass to the ground like a defensive back to prevent Antoine Bethea from making the interception. Kaepernick and Smith still haven’t connected deep during team drills in training camp.
Next, Kaepernick underthrew Vernon Davis, who was single-covered and open. The pass was so poor, Davis made no attempt to catch it – he just watched as Craig Dahl went for the interception. Dahl reached up, and the ball bounced off of his hands, over his head and into the arms of Davis – just like the coaches drew it up.