Our very own Jack Hammer just published an interesting article on the five most essential 49ers. To read it, click here.
Hammer inspired me to make my own list. I’d be interested to read your list, too.
1. Vernon Davis. He makes everyone on the 49ers’ offense better.
2. Eric Reid. The 49ers’ defense did not play well when Reid wasn’t on the field last season.
3. Phil Dawson. Jim Harbaugh relies on his kicking game to win games and Dawson is one of the best kickers in the NFL.
4. Patrick Willis. The 49ers need Willis to solidify the middle of their defense while NaVorro Bowman is injured. Pro Football Focus ranked Willis as the second-highest rated inside linebacker next to Bowman last season.
5. Kendall Hunter. He’s the one proven change-of-pace back on the roster. Hunter complements Frank Gore better than a bigger back like Carlos Hyde would.