Many of you have asked me for my best guess about what the 49ers will do in free agency and the draft. This is my first best guess. I’ll make subsequent best guesses in the coming weeks.
- The 49ers will cut David Akers and Parys Haralson to create cap space to give the franchise tag to Dashon Goldson. Goldson probably wants a five-year contract worth about $8 million per year. The one-year franchise tag would cost the 49ers about $7.5 million next season, saving them money.
- The 49ers will trade Alex Smith to the Cleveland Browns for a fifth-round pick.
- The 49ers will offer Delanie Walker a three-year, $10 million contract extension. If he signs a more lucrative contract with another team, the 49ers will draft a tight end on Day 3 of the draft.’
- The 49ers will offer Randy Moss a dirt-cheap one-year contract, and he will accept it.
- The 49ers will let the rest of their free agents leave unless they sign similarly dirt-cheap deals. Notable free agents are Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois, Ted Ginn Jr., Tavares Gooden, Darcel McBath and Leonard Davis.
- The 49ers will fill out their roster with their 15 draft picks. In the first three rounds, the 49ers will draft two pass rushers, a slot cornerback and a wide receiver – DE Datone Jones in the first round, DE Margus Hunt in the second, and CB Tyrann Mathieu and WR Stedman Bailey in the third.
- In rounds four through seven, the 49ers will draft a quarterback, a kicker, a nose tackle, a safety and a tight end.