SANTA CLARA – Here’s what stood out to me during Monday afternoon’s padded practice.
1. Tarell Brown – He returned to practice after missing the last two and was the starting nickelback in place of Carlos Rogers. Brown gave up just one catch while playing nickelback – a 15-yard completion to Austin Collie.
2. Aldon Smith –He sat out for an hour during the middle portion of team drills. The head trainer seemed to be checking his hand. But Aldon Smith still managed to rack up three sacks at the beginning and end of practice.
3. Marlon Moore – He was the starting split end and he caught three passes for 85 yards and two touchdowns. First, he caught a five-yard touchdown in front of Perrish Cox in a red zone drill. Next, Moore caught a 30-yard pass in front of Cox on a deep square in. Finally, Moore caught a 50-yard pass from Kaepernick over Marcus Cooper. Kaepernick under threw the pass, so Moore slowed down, adjusted to it and out jumped Cooper, who was in perfect position to intercept it.
4. Eric Reid – He was the starting free safety and during a red zone drill, he knocked away what would have been a touchdown to Vernon Davis on a post route.
5. Trenton Robinson – He played both safety positions for the scout team defense. On one play when he was at single-high free safety, B.J. Daniels uncorked a deep pass for Anquan Boldin. Robinson ran 30-yards across the field and knocked the pass away.
6. Ricardo Lockette – He beat Tarell Brown for a 25-yard TD catch on a post route. Later, he beat Marcus Cooper deep for a 30-yard catch down the sideline.
6. Corey Lemonier – He had two sacks during practice. He beat Adam Snyder and he beat Kenny Wiggins.
7. Lawrence Okoye – He batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage.
8. Anthony Dixon – At the end of practice he broke through the defensive line on a run up the middle. Trenton Robinson jogged down into the box to lightly tag Dixon and end the play, but Dixon caught Robinson with a forearm shiver and knocked the safety onto his back. Dixon was so fired up, he turned to the media on the sideline and barked at us. Harbaugh walked over to Dixon and admonished him in front of the team.
1. Joe Staley and Vance McDonald – They did not suit up or participate in practice.
2. Carlos Rogers – He suited up but did not participate in team drills.
3. A.J. Jenkins – He did not catch any passes today. He was targeted three times – once in the end zone and twice deep. In the end zone, he ran an in route and Nnamdi Asomugha knocked the pass away. On the deep ones, Jenkins faced Darryl Morris. The first time, Jenkins slowed down when he turned to find the ball in the air, so he never got a hand on it. It fell incomplete. Later, Jenkins again tried to beat Morris deep, but he couldn’t. Morris ran stride-for-stride with Jenkins and knocked the pass away.
4. Adam Snyder – He started at left tackle in place of Joe Staley and gave up three sacks.
5. Anthony Davis – He gave up a sack to Parys Haralson on third-and-9 during a situational drill.
6. Kendall Hunter – He dropped the one pass that was thrown to him. Hunter has looked rusty since he’s returned to the team.