SANTA CLARA – The Niners first practice of the 2012 training camp was padless – full contact doesn’t start until Sunday. Keeping that in mind, here are my impressions from Friday.
- TE Vernon Davis – Twice the coaching staff raved about the routes Davis ran. Last year, Harbaugh mentioned he wanted Davis to improve his route running, to make his movements more precise. Today, Davis was the most precise route-runner on the field.
- S C.J. Spillman – Intercepted Scott Tolzien on an overthrown pass intended for reserve tight end Garrett Celek.
- RB Rock Cartwright – Made a few tough catches away from his body. Seems sure-handed and quick.
- RB LaMichael James – Like Cartwright, made a few very nice catches out of the backfield. Seemed to have better hands today than the Niners other tiny running back – Kendall Hunter.
- QB Josh Johnson – Inaccurate today, throwing too high to his receivers. In OTAs and minicamps when he missed he tended to miss low. Today was the opposite. He got intercepted by Perrish Cox on a tipped throw intended for Garrett Celek.
- QB Scott Tolzien – Intercepted by C.J. Spillman on an overthrown pass over the middle. Tolziens’ passes seem have the least velocity of the four quarterbacks.
- TE Delanie Walker – Dropped an intermediate pass on the right sideline – it bounced right off his hands. This was reminiscent of the pass Walker dropped in the end zone against the Lions last season.
- WR Michael Crabtree – Played well the first two hours of practice, but went down towards the end with an apparent ankle injury and missed the last 20 minutes of practice.