SANTA CLARA – Here are the highlights of the 49ers’ fifth padded practice of training camp.
1. ILB NaVorro Bowman. During an 11 on 11 fourth-down drill, Bowman tagged Colin Kaepernick for a sack when Kaepernick was scrambling toward the sideline. After Bowman tagged him, Kaepernick threw a deep pass across his body to Anquan Boldin, who caught the ball for a gain of about 40 yards. After the play, Kaepernick got in Bowman’s face and seemed to say something to him. The next play, Kaepernick scrambled to his right again and threw a short pass across his body to wide receiver Jerome Simpson. Bowman stepped in front of the pass, picked it off and high-stepped down the field while he stared at Kaepernick.
2. ILB Nick Moody. Intercepted a pass thrown over the middle by backup quarterback Blaine Gabbert. Moody calmly reached up with his right hand and tipped the ball to himself like he’d done it million times. This was his third interception of training camp.
3. DT Tank Carradine. Recorded two sacks during team drills, beating second-team left guard Joe Looney both times. Carradine also beat starting left guard Alex Boone once during one on one pass-rushing drills.
4. RB Reggie Bush. Caught seven passes and dropped zero during team drills. His best catch came while running a wheel route down the sideline on fourth-and-seven. Kaepernick threw a touch pass and hit Bush in stride.
5. WR DeAndrew White. Caught five passes and dropped zero during team drills. His best catch was the catch of the day – a 50-yard one-handed touchdown grab on a pass thrown by third-string quarterback Dylan Thompson.
THE NOT SO GOOD
1. RB Carlos Hyde. Dropped not one, not two but three passes during team drills. Each time he dropped the ball he seemed to “hear footsteps” and turn his head before securing the pass.
2. CB Dontae Johnson. Gave up a 50-yard touchdown catch to Jerome Simpson on a pass thrown by Colin Kaepernick during 11-on-11s. I haven’t seen Johnson break up one pass during training camp.