SANTA CLARA – Here’s who stood out during the eighth padded practice of training camp.
1. WR Marquise Goodwin. Outjumped 6’1” free safety Adrian Colbert to make a 40-yard contested catch on the first pass of practice. Then, outjumped 6’3” cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon to make a 40-yard contested touchdown catch on the final pass of practice. Goodwin is only 5’10”.
2. WR Pierre Garcon. Took reps with the second-string offense, and caught a 14-yard pass from C.J. Beathard on second-and-15. Beat cornerback Jimmie Ward on the play with a dig route.
3. SS Jaquiski Tartt. Shut down tight end George Kittle all morning in man-to-man coverage. Kittle caught just one pass during practice – a five-yard gain against zone coverage. Tartt is the best player in the secondary.
4. DT DeForest Buckner. Sacked Jimmy Garoppolo twice during team drills. Beat left guard Laken Tomlinson the first time, and right guard Mike Person the second time.
5. DT Solomon Thomas. Bullied guard Erik Magnuson during one-on-one drills.
6. DT Sheldon Day. Sacked C.J. Beathard once and pressured him lots of times.
7. TE Garrett Celek. Made a 30-yard one-handed catch while running out of bounds. Caught the ball below his knees.
8. RB Raheem Mostert. Replaced Matt Breida as the No. 2 running because Breida had the day off. Lined up a wide receiver, ran a comeback route and caught a 10-yard pass from Garoppolo on third-and-10. Almost certainly will make the team as the No. 3 running back. The 49ers could keep four.
9. OLB Pita Taumoepenu. Beat backup offensive tackle Darrell Williams Jr. with a beautiful spin move during one on ones.
10. DE Jeremiah Attaochu. Made rookie right tackle Mike McGlinchey miss. Beat him during one on ones with a quick inside move, a move McGlinchey has struggled to stop throughout training camp. More on him below.
11. QB Jimmy Garoppolo. Completed 11 of 15 passes, threw for a touchdown and no interceptions. Almost flawless.
THE NOT SO GOOD
1. CB Ahkello Witherspoon. Gave up the long TD catch to Goodwin, and should have intercepted the ball or knocked it away. Was in perfect position.
2. CB Jimmie Ward. Gave up the 14-yard catch to Garcon. I can’t remember Ward breaking up any passes during training camp
3. CB D.J. Reed. Replaced K’Waun Williams as the starting nickel back and gave up a 10-yard catch to Goodwin, who ran a simple speed out route and was wide open.
4. FS Adrian Colbert. Gave up the 40-yard catch to Goodwin early in practice. Never turned his head to make a play on the ball. Instead, tackled Goodwin as the ball arrived.
5. RT Mike McGlinchey. Whiffed again trying to block an inside counter move during one on ones. Also whiffed trying to block Cassius Marsh during an outside zone run to the offense’s right during team drills. Marsh stopped the running back for no gain
6. G/C Mike Person. Couldn’t block nose tackle Earl Mitchell during one on ones.
7. G/C Erik Magnuson. Gave up a sack to third-string defensive tackle Niles Scott during team drills. Scott probably won’t make the team. Magnuson might be a starter.
8. C Weston Richburg. Missed practice. The 49ers gave him a recovery day, but didn’t say what he’s recovering from.