Trey Lance dropped back to pass 18 times during the fourth practice of 49ers training camp, and he finished 8-15 with an interception. Here’s what happened:
1) Complete to Jauan Jennings – After a run fake, Lance quarter rolled to his right before firing a dart to Jennings, who was running a curl on the left side.
2) Incomplete to Kyle Jusczcyk – Under pressure, Lance tries to drop it off underneath to Jusczcyk but the ball lands at the feet of the fullback.
3) Complete to Elijah Mitchell – Lance dumps the ball off to Mitchell in the left flat.
4) Incomplete to Brandon Aiyuk – Lance throws high and behind Aiyuk, running a deep out on the right side.
5) Incomplete to George Kittle – Lance hits George Kittle on a short throw over the middle, the tight end bobbles the ball, and linebacker Fred Warner knocks it away.
7) Scramble – Under pressure, Lance steps up and through the pocket and looks for a receiver downfield before taking off up the middle.
8) Complete to Ray-Ray McCloud – McCloud finds a hole in the zone on a dig route, and Lance rips the throw to him for a nice gain.
9) Complete to Jauan Jennings – Lance bootlegs out to his right and finds Jennings running an over route. The pass is low, but Jennings digs it out for a completion.
Nick Bosa was right there, and this likely results in a sack under game conditions.
10) Scramble – Nick Bosa beats Trent Williams forcing Lance to take off.
11) Complete to George Kittle – After a play fake, Lance hits George Kittle, running a wheel route down the left side.
The throw was a little behind Kittle, but the tight end was able to go up and get it.
12) Complete to Brandon Aiyuk – Lance hits Aiyuk, running a post corner deep down the right sideline.
Lance put the ball in the right spot, and Aiyuk was able to go up and get the ball over the outstretched hand of Charvarius Ward.
13) Incomplete to Ray-Ray McCloud – Lance throws the ball too far in front of McCloud, who was running a crossing route.
14) Incomplete to Ray-Ray McCloud – Lance again throws too far in front of McCloud.
15) Complete to Aiyuk – Under pressure, Lance steps up through the pocket and slides to his left before finding Aiyuk over the middle for a nice gain.
This is the type of play Lance brings that differs from Jimmy Garoppolo.
16) Incomplete to Jeff Wilson Jr – Lance throws a check-down to Jeff Wilson Jr in the right flat. The running back bobbles the ball, and Jimmie Ward runs through the running back to force an incompletion.
17) Interception – Lance tries to hit Ray-Ray McCloud over the middle but hits linebacker Fred Warner in the chest. This was nearly a carbon copy of Lance’s interception to Jimmie Ward on Thursday.
18) Complete to Brandon Aiyuk – Lance rips a throw over the middle to Aiyuk for a gain of 20. Aiyuk caught the pass between two 49ers defenders.