SANTA CLARA — The 49ers just drafted Utah punter Mitch Wishnowsky with the eighth pick in Round 4. Let’s break down the positives and negatives of this pick.
- Averaged 45.7 yards per punt in three years at Utah.
- Handled kickoff duties in 2017.
- Fills need at punter.
- Played home games at high altitude (4,200 feet), so his punts traveled farther than they will in Santa Clara.
- Opponents blocked three of his punts in 2018.
- 27-years old.
- Has had two shoulder surgeries.
- Not a defensive back.
This is the kind of pick a team makes when it just won the Super Bowl and has zero holes on its roster. The 49ers are not that team. They have holes all over their secondary. And yet, instead of taking a decent defensive back such as Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Julian Love, Kharl Willis, Kendall Sheffield, Amani Hooker or Sheldrick Redwine, the 49ers traded down and took a punter. Gross negligence.