SANTA CLARA – Here’s what stood out Tuesday at practice.
- WR Dante Pettis. Returned to the starting lineup after playing with the backups during the preseason opener, and beat Richard Sherman with a double move to make a 30-yard catch. Pettis created at least five yards of space between him and Sherman, who looked lost on that play. This is the kind of play we saw Pettis make during his rookie season.
- WR Jalen Hurd. Caught two of three passes from Nick Mullens, and caught a touchdown pass from Wilton Speight in the red zone. Also lined up at running back and ran routes from the backfield a few times. Still has not received any targets from Jimmy Garoppolo during 11-on-11 team drills in camp. They need to start building chemistry.
- WR Richie James Jr. Caught a 22-yard pass from Mullens after running a deep comeback route and stopping on a dime.
- TE Ross Dwelley. Started in place of George Kittle and caught two passes from Garoppolo – one for 15 yards and one for 10 yards. Dwelley legitimately has become one of the best pass-catchers on the team. No exaggeration.
- LB Fred Warner. Ripped the ball out of Matt Breida’s hands during a run up the middle. Warner seems to make one impressive play per practice.
- CB Emmanuel Mosley. Intercepted a pass intended for Dante Pettis during one-on-one drills. Mosley is a playmaker who deserves to make the final roster.
- QB Jimmy Garoppolo. Completed 9 of 13 pass attempts. He threw seven passes to running backs, three passes to tight ends and three to wide receivers. Garoppolo loves throwing to running backs.
- QB Nick Mullens. Completed 6 of 9 pass attempts, and led a touchdown drive during simulated game with no tackling. Garoppolo failed to lead a touchdown drive even though he had two attempts.
THE NOT SO GOOD
- WR Dante Pettis. Ran a half-hearted slant route and watched as Mosley stepped in front of him and intercepted Garoppolo’s pass. After the play, Garoppolo said something to Mullens, and Shanahan walked straight to Pettis and gave him coaching points.
- TE George Kittle. Missed practice with a calf injury.
- WR Deebo Samuel. Missed practice due to personal reasons.
- QB C.J. Beathard. Missed practice with a right thumb injury.
- CB Richard Sherman. Gave up that 30-yard catch to Pettis. Sherman is the only corner on the 49ers who has really struggled against Pettis in camp. It will be interesting to see if teams target Sherman more frequently this season.
- WR Jordan Matthews. Started in the slot, but received no targets from Garoppolo and dropped the only target he received from Mullens.
- C Ben Garland. Has struggled to snap the ball when the quarterback is in the shotgun all offseasonn. Garland’s snaps consistently land below the quarterback’s knees. The 49ers need Weston Richburg healthy as soon as possible.
— Grant Cohn (@grantcohn) August 13, 2019