SANTA CLARA – Here are the highlights from the 49ers’ fourth practice and first padded practice of training camp.
1. OLB Aldon Smith. Abused starting left tackle Joe Staley all afternoon. During one-on-one pass-rushing drills, Smith faked to the outside, came back inside and Staley never touched him. Later during team drills, Smith beat Staley around the edge and tagged Colin Kaepernick for the sack.
2. OLB Eli Harold. By my count, Harold recorded two sacks during one on ones (first against Trent Brown, then against Andrew Tiller), and two sacks and two pressures during team drills. Harold is one of the fiercest competitors on the field every day.
3. DL Arik Armstead. Beat starting center Joe Looney once and starting right guard Marcus Martin twice during one on ones. Pushed Martin back about 10 yards the first time facing him, and probably could have pushed him back another 10 yards, but the coach blew his whistle to end the play.
4. FS Eric Reid. Blitzed frequently, which I’ve never seen him do. Each time he blitzed the Niners failed to block him, and the quarterback had to tuck the ball and scramble. Reid might be a secret weapon as a blitzer next season.
5. WR Dres Anderson. Made a beautiful catch over the middle on a pass Blaine Gabbert threw behind him. A few minutes later Gabbert threw Anderson a deep pass, Anderson jumped over cornerback Kenneth Acker, caught the ball and tapped both feet in bounds.
THE NOT SO GOOD
1. The Offensive Line. By my count, they gave up nine sacks during team drills. Nine. And they were even worse at run blocking. Each time a running back received a handoff, whether he ran right or left he seemed to get tagged at or behind the line of scrimmage.
2. QB Colin Kaepernick. Has thrown an interception three days in a row and a pick-six two days in a row. Today he telegraphed a short pass to Quinton Patton who was running a short smoke route. Cornerback Shareece Wright read Kaepernick’s eyes, jumped the pass, picked it off and high-stepped into the end zone.