Let’s do something different this Friday morning. Let’s mock the first round of the draft together.
I will be participating. The first 29 people who sign up get to join me. There are 30 teams that have first round picks – the Rams and Vikings each have two first round picks, so whoever mocks for them gets to make two picks. When 29 people sign up, I’ll put everyone’s name in a hat to determine who gets to pick for which teams. When you make your pick, write a paragraph explaining why you made your pick and I’ll post it in the blog.
The deadline to sign up is 11 a.m. At that time I’ll divvy up the teams, and if there are fewer than 30 participants, some people will draft for two teams.
Here’s the draft order:
1. Kansas City Chiefs – Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M. Ribico: “I’m building that OL of the future NOW.”
2. Jacksonville Jaguars – Ezekial Ansah, DE, BYU. Coffee’s for Closers: “The Jags had the fewest sacks of any team in the league last year. (Dion) Jordan is a popular pick here as well but the Jags have a history of making unpopular picks. Ansah is the top rated 4-3 DE and will hopefully help out their secondary by getting more pressure on the QB.”
3. Oakland Raiders – Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida. Jack Hammer: “Championship teams are built from the inside out, and Floyd is the most dominant interior lineman available in this draft.”
4. Philadelphia Eagles – Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan. HighPriest333: “If Vick is going to live, he needs protection. It all starts with the big uglies!”
5. Detroit Lions – Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama. Jshaw: “(Dion) Jordan is a good pick also, however, this pick sticks it to the Browns as well as fills a huge need for the Lions.”
6. Cleveland Browns – Dion Joran, DE/OLB, Oregon. LSX: “With Milliner off the board, this pick makes too much sense for a team in desperate need of an outside linebacker who can rush the passer. Jordan is the top OLB/DE in the draft, and Cleveland is happy he falls to them at #6.”
7. Arizona Cardinals – Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma. Coffee’s for Closers: “Not a very sexy pick and not a very hard one to make either. Even or maybe especially after the Rachal signing they still need a starting guard as well but I dont believe in drafting guards in the top ten so tackle it is. Doesn’t hurt that he’s the best one left and probably considered a bpa as well.”
8. Buffalo Bills – Tavon Austin, WR, WVU. High Top: “Point and shoot this team needs everything. I think they will in reality trade-they dont take Geno and Nassib could be there in 2nd pick range so with that being said the Bills pick Tavon Austin -the most dynamic player in the first and a more fire power for weak team!”
9. New York Jets – Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU. Scooter_McG: “The Jets need pass rush help at OLB bad. Barkevious Mingo beats out Jarvis Jones for the Jets due to his superior athleticism for the position, and Jets love athleticism over production.”
10. Tennessee Titans – Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah. Emzilla: ” Lotulelei will help collapse the pocket, and improve upon their 24th ranked rushing defense. He falls to 10 due to health concerns, but ends up being a major contributor in his rookie season. Book it.”
11. San Diego Chargers – Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia. A$AP Classic: “I doubt the Chargers do this but since I’m the GM I can do what I want. I’m taking Jarvis Jones to replace the gone Shaun Phillips. I was strongly considering a guard but it just seemed to high. In my scenerio, Jones health checks out and love the potential.”
12. Miami Dolphins – Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State. Miner49er: “I actually think the Dolphins move up and take Dee Milliner, but since he’s gone already and they need a CB that’s who they take. They also need some o linemen, and a DE, but since a lot of those have been taken already they can wait those needs out a bit.”
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Sylvester Williams, DT, UNC. Brotha Tuna: “They were hoping for Milliner or fallback to Rhodes, but have needs also at DS and DL. Sly is best value for needs.”
14. Carolina Panthers – Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri. A$AP Classic: “Panthers select DT Sheldon Richardson to fill a huge hole on their DLine. Could also go corner since they cut Chris Gamble but i think they take Richardson.”
15. New Orleans Saints – Demontre Moore, DE/OLB, Texas A&M. Coffee’s for Closers: “With their move to a 3-4 they select a consistent and immediate starter at OLB. He’s a sure tackler who can use his speed to get around the edge. Vaccaro was a consideration and hard to pass up but ultimately I felt they would go with a pass rusher.”
16. St. Louis Rams – Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas. Grant Cohn: “The Rams need safeties and Vaccaro is the best one in the draft.”
17. Pittsburgh Steelers – Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee. Razoreater: “With the loss of Braveheart and the Patriots looting perhaps another WR, the Pittsburg Steelers select Cordarrelle Patterson WR/Tenn.”
18. Dallas Cowboys -Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama. Runman49: “The Cowboys need offensive linemen and can’t believe their luck when one of the best falls to them at number 18. Say what you want about Tony Romo’s contract, but they invested a lot in him, and now they need to protect him.”
19. New York Giants – Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State. Allforfunnplay: “The Giants’ philosophy is you can never have too many pass rushers. The Giants rotate their D-line and often feature a 3 End 4 man line. JPP is a pass rushing force. Justin Tuck’s production declined (4 sacks). Osi Umenyiora is gone. Other needs were at Left Tackle, RB and Corner.None of the Tackles left are worth the 19th pick. Eddie Lacy was tempting but the Giants drafted David Wilson in the 1st round last year.Desmond Trufant and Johnathan Banks were considerations. But for the value Werner was the best player available.”
20. Chicago Bears – Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC. A$AP Classic: “Chicago Bears select guard Jonathan Cooper to add a solid piece to one of the worst OLs in the NFL.”
21. Cincinnati Bengals – Menelik Waton, OT, Florida State. Scooter_McG: “With Andre Smith unsigned the Bengals need a RT, and Watson is arguably the best RT in the draft. They’ll flirt with the idea of Alec Ogletree or even Arthur Brown, but keeping Dalton upright and paving the way for whoever their RB is next year takes precedence.”
22. St. Louis Rams – Jonathan Cyprien, S, FIU. Grant Cohn: “The Rams need two starting safeties. They drafted the free safety with the 16th pick, and here they draft the strong safety. The Rams get the top two safeties in the draft and leave the division rival 49ers with the leftovers.”
23. Minnesota Vikings – Alex Ogletree, ILB, Georgia. Razoreater: “The Vikings needs include the LB position and the value is there with Alec Ogletree LB/Georgia.”
24. Indianapolis Colts – D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama. Jshaw: “The Colts add protection for the franchise Qb andrew Luck.”
25. Minnesota Vikings – Keenan Allen, WR, Cal. Razoreater: “Again the need and value are like peanut and butter and jelly. Just makes too much sense.”
26. Green Bay Packers – Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama. HighPriest333: “GB has been too unbalanced for years. Lacy gives them a tough back that will grind out yards and keep the defense honest.”
27. Houston Texans – Robert Woods, WR, USC. Allforfunnplay: “Houston Texans select Robert Woods so Shaub has someone other than Andre Johnson.”
28. Denver Broncos – Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State. ck5446: “I think Denver has gotten used to having two top flight pass rushers in their D. Need this position after losing Dumervil for nothing.”
29. New England Patriots – Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State. LSX: “Think its a reach? Think again! Taylor is the steady, consistent cover corner the Pats are looking for. Low risk, high upside.”
30. Atlanta Falcons – Datone Jones, DE, UCLA. Miner49er: “Falcons need help getting to the qb. period.”
31. San Francisco 49ers – Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington. Brotha Tuna
32. Baltimore Ravens – Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU. Jack Hammer: “Bolsters an inside linebacker crew currently headed by Rolando and Jameel McClain? Jameel is still recovering from a spinal cord contusion he suffered in 2012 and it is unclear if he will be at 100% for the start of the 2013 season. Could be an immediate starter for the defending World Champions.”
33. Jacksonville Jaguars – Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame. Rebelscum: “Jags wait and still get their man, I was going to take the obvious Qb but I am going Tyler eifert, te, Notre Dame, they have a decent one but Tyler could help gabbert be more diverse!”
34. San Francisco 49ers – Kawann Short, DT, Purdue. Brotha Tuna: “We’ve been here long enough. Elam/PThomas/ Swearingen/Banks/& Ertz all worthy.
The San Francisco 49ers select with the 34th pick in the 2013 Draft, Kawaan Short, DT, Purdue.
I’ve seen him listed as more of a 3T, and he could have success at that. I think he’s accustomed to double teams and can give us the occasional 0 Gap NT, while also being a 1Gap NT and a pocket pusher. I was originally disturbed by complaints about inconsistent effort, but I’ve come to grips with the concept that he was double and tripled team a lot.
Later rounds I like Swearingin and Q.Smith, Mathieu, BWWebb,McFadden, Brandon Williams, the Nev S (Duke ?), Montgomery, Quisenberry, Kelce, Wheaton, Line, Colin Klein(?).”