This is exactly how the first 15 picks of the upcoming draft will play out.
1. Cleveland Browns: Sam Darnold, QB, USC.
Analysis: After signing Carlos Hyde, the Browns don’t need a running back. And they can’t afford to pass on a top quarterback for the third year in a row.
2. New York Giants: Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State.
Analysis: Barkley and Odell Beckham Jr. will form the best running-back-wide-receiver duo in the NFL, and make life easy for any quarterback the Giants have — Eli Manning, or someone else down the line.
3. New York Jets: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA.
Analysis: The Jets traded up to take the best quarterback available.
TRADE: Buffalo sends two first-round picks this year plus their first-round pick next year to Cleveland in exchange for the fourth pick this year.
4. Buffalo Bills: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming.
Analysis: If he isn’t ready to play right away, Allen can sit on the bench and develop behind starter A.J. McCarron.
5. Denver Broncos: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame.
Analysis: Elway passes on Baker Mayfield and improves the Broncos offensive line, which stinks.
6. Indianapolis Colts: Bradley Chubb, DE, North Carolina St.
Analysis: The Colts best pass rusher, Jabaal Sheard, had just 5.5 sacks last season.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Derwin James, S, Florida St.
Analysis: The Bucs need a safety.
8. Chicago Bears: Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech.
Analysis: Edmunds replaces Christian Jones, who signed with the Detroit Lions.
TRADE: Green Bay sends a first-round pick, a third-round pick and a fourth-round pick to San Francisco in exchange for the ninth pick.
9. Green Bay Packers: Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/S, Alabama.
Analysis: Fitzpatrick replaces Demarious Randall, whom the Packers traded to the Browns.
10. Oakland Raiders: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State.
Analysis: Ward joins the Ohio State connection in the Raiders secondary with cornerback Gareon Conley.
11. Miami Dolphins: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia.
Analysis: Smith will replace veteran linebacker Lawrence Timmons.
12. Cleveland Browns (from Buffalo): Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA.
Analysis: The Browns need a defensive end to take pressure off last year’s first-round-pick defensive end, Myles Garrett.
13. Washington Redskins: Vita Vea, DT, Washington.
Analysis: The Redskins run defense was abysmal last season.
14. San Francisco 49ers: Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia.
Analysis: The 49ers have to protect Jimmy Garoppolo. Wynn can play any position on the offensive line.
15. Arizona Cardinals: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma.
Analysis: Mayfield could fall further than people think. He’s short, and got arrested a year ago. Still, the Cardinals probably wouldn’t pass on him at pick No. 15. They’re desperate for a quarterback, because their starter, Sam Bradford, has a glass jaw.