Here’s my best guess at a mid-offseason 49ers depth chart. I left out all impending free agents.
LWR: Marquise Goodwin, Aldrick Robinson, Victor Bolden Jr.
LT: Joe Staley, Darrell Williams Jr.
LG: Laken Tomlinson, Zane Beadles
C: Daniel Kilgore, Erik Magnuson
RG: Joshua Garnett
RT: Trent Brown, Garry Gilliam
TE: George Kittle, Garrett Celek, Cole Hikutini
SWR: Trent Taylor
RWR: Pierre Garcon, Kendrick Bourne
RB: Matt Breida, Raheem Mostert, Joe Williams
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo, C.J. Beathard
DE: Solomon Thomas, Ronald Blair
NT: Earl Mitchell, D.J. Jones
DT: DeForest Buckner, Sheldon Day
LEO: Arik Armstead, Cassius Marsh
SAM: Eli Harold, Elvis Dumervil, Dekoda Watson, Pita Taumoepenu
MIKE: Reuben Foster, Elijah Lee
WILL: Malcolm Smith, Mark Nzeocha
LCB: Ahkello Witherspoon, Channing Stribling
NCB: K’Waun Williams
RCB: Greg Mabin, Tyvis Powell
SS: Jaquiski Tartt, Chanceller James, Dexter McCoil
FS: Adrian Colbert, Jimmie Ward
LS: Kyle Nelson
K: Robbie Gould
P: Bradley Pinion
1. I wouldn’t be surprised if the running-back depth chart looks like exactly the same Week 1 as it does above. Matt Breida deserves a chance to start. He played well last year, averaging 4.5 yards per rush when the quarterback was under center. Breida can handle 13 to 15 carries per game next season. And his backup, Raheem Mostert, is an explosive receiving threat out of the backfield, similar to Chris Thompson, whom Kyle Shanahan drafted in 2013.
2. I wouldn’t be surprised if the wide-receiver depth chart changes significantly between now and Week 1. The Niners probably will replace Victor Bolden Jr., and maybe Aldrick Robinson, too.
3. The team could make room on the roster for a third quarterback by cutting one of their four Sam linebackers or three strong safeties.
4. It’s interesting the 49ers re-signed backup right tackle Garry Gilliam, but haven’t given a contract extension to starting right tackle Trent Brown. Brown will be a free agent in the 2019. The 49ers say they want to keep him around for a long time, but I’m not so sure they will.
5. The offense needs three new guards.
6. The defense needs three new cornerbacks.
7. The defense also needs two new linebackers. Three if Malcolm Smith doesn’t return from his pectoral injury. Four if the NFL suspends Reuben Foster.
8. The defense needs a starting Leo. A platoon of Armstead and Marsh isn’t good enough.
9. The defense desperately needs Solomon Thomas to improve as a pass rusher. Right now, he’s a worse than his backup, Ronald Blair.
10. Jimmie Ward has no role on this team.