Training camp starts Friday and here are the top-five people I’m interested to watch.
1. Jim Harbaugh. It’s important to see how he runs a practice. Does he teach? Does he delegate work to his other coaches? Does he spend most his time with the quarterbacks?
2. Colin Kaepernick. How comfortable is he running the offense? What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he interact with his teammates? Does he have a realistic chance of beating out Alex Smith for the starting quarterback job in training camp?
3. Michael Crabtree. How hard does he work? Has he improved his route-running? Is he in top shape? Does it seem like he wants to be there? Does he interact with his teammates?
4. Vernon Davis. Is he the leader of the team now that Takeo Spikes is gone? If not, who is? Is it Patrick Willis? Is it Harbaugh? We won’t know about Alex Smith for a few days.
5. Vic Fangio. Is he active? Is he vocal? Does he teach quietly or loudly? What kind of presence does he exude?
Bonus question: How would you feel if the 49ers start the regular season with just two quarterbacks – Smith and Kaepernick? It’s possible.
What training camp topics interest you? I’d love to know.
Follow me on twitter @grantcohn.