SANTA CLARA – Here’s who stood out during the ninth padded practice of training camp.
1. RB Jerick McKinnon. Gained 30 yards on an outside run to the right. Such a better fit in Kyle Shanahan’s offense than Carlos Hyde. Big upgrade.
2. RB Joe Williams. Gained 40 yards on an outside run to the right during his first rep against the starting defense all offseason. Has had a fantastic training camp. Zero fumbles.
3. RT Mike McGlinchey. Created the holes for McKinnon and Williams during their long runs to the right. Seemed to be down blocking instead of reach blocking. Ended up near the left side of the formation after each run.
4. WR Aldrick Robinson. Caught both of Jimmy Garoppolo’s touchdown passes. One was a 25-yarder in the back corner of the end zone. The other was a 70-yarder down the middle of the field.
5. WR Kendrick Bourne. Reached out and snagged a pass while running through heavy traffic over the middle. Has no fear, similar to Pierre Garcon.
6. TE Cole Hikutini. Caught five passes for 75 yards. Made Garoppolo look good with a 15-yard catch over the middle. Garoppolo threw the pass behind Hikutini, who spun and caught it anyway.
7. DT Sheldon Day. Ran through McGlinchey and right guard Jonathan Cooper to pressure Garoppolo and force him to throw a pass Antone Exum Jr. should have intercepted. The ball bounced off his chest plate. Day makes one great play every day.
8. OLB Eli Harold. An excellent edge-setter in the run game. Burst into the backfield during an outside zone run to his side of the defense, and forced running back Matt Breida to cut into the teeth of the defense for no gain.
9. QB Jimmy Garoppolo. Threw two perfect deep touchdown passes to Robinson.
THE NOT SO GOOD
1. QB Jimmy Garoppolo. Overthrew two deep passes to Dante Pettis, and nearly got intercepted twice: Once by Exum, and once by Ahkello Witherspoon.
2. QB C.J. Beathard. Overthrew a deep pass to Pettis, underthrew two deep passes to Victor Bolden Jr, one-hopped back-to-back check-down passes to running back Jeremy McNichols, completed only 7 of 14 passes total and threw a pick to Terrell Williams Jr. My goodness.
3. WR Dante Pettis. Didn’t go what Bourne did in No. 5 of the “Good” section. Alligator-armed a pass from Nick Mullens over the middle instead.
4. CB D.J. Reed. Gave up the 70-yard touchdown catch to Robinson. Definitely not ready to play nickel back Week 1. The 49ers need K’Waun Williams to return and play well.
5. CB Greg Mabin. Gave up the 25-yard touchdown catch to Robinson, plus a 30-yard catch to Marquise Goodwin, and committed a pass-interference penalty for good measure. Definitely not good enough to play corner Week 1 or ever. The 49ers need Richard Sherman to return and play well.