SANTA CLARA – Here’s who stood out during the third non-padded practice and the final day of training camp at the 49ers facility.
1. CB Richard Sherman. Returned to practice after missing the previous 10 days. Took a few reps during team drills and broke up a short pass from Garoppolo which was intended for Kendrick Bourne. Sherman turned, took a few steps back, jumped and swatted the ball away. After practice, Kyle Shanahan suggested the coaches told Sherman the play was coming.
2. FS Adrian Colbert. Broke up a pass from Garoppolo which was intended for Dante Pettis. It was third-and-goal from the eight-yard line. Pettis ran an eight-yard curl from the slot. Colbert read Garoppolo’s eyes and broke just in time to knock away the ball. No one has broken up more of Garoppolo’s passes than Colbert.
3. WR Pierre Garcon. Lined up in the slot on second-and-six and made an 18-yard catch over the middle. You should expect the 49ers to use Garcon in the slot frequently this season, especially when Trent Taylor isn’t on the field.
4. WR Trent Taylor. Caught two passes from Garoppolo during team drills. One was a touchdown pass in the red zone. Taylor still seems to be Garoppolo’s favorite target over the middle.
5. WR Dante Pettis. Made a leaping catch over the middle for the second practice in a row. Both catches came on play-action plays which created huge voids in the middle of the field.
6. WR Aaron Burbridge. Beat cornerback Tarvarus McFadden with a go route up the sideline for a 38-yard catch.
7. TE Garrett Celek. Ran an out-and-up route against defensive end Cassius Marsh, who ended up in man-to-man coverage for some mysterious reason. Celek burned him for a 40-yard catch.
8. TE Cole Hikutini. Made a leaping, twisting touchdown while running a crossing route along the back boundary of the end zone.
9. QB Jimmy Garoppolo. Completed 11 of 16 attempts and threw two touchdown passes and no picks. One his best days of camp.
THE NOT SO GOOD
1. CB Richard Sherman. Gave up five yards of separation to Pettis in the end zone. Pettis gave a hard head fake and jab step toward his left, and Sherman ran left. Pettis cut quickly back to the right and was wide open. Garoppolo never saw him. After the play, Kyle Juszczyk yelled across the field, “I saw that, Sherm!”
2. WR Dante Pettis. Didn’t fight to make a contested catch over the middle. Allowed Colbert to step in front of him and break up the pass.
3. WR Marquise Goodwin. Ran the wrong route after Garoppolo changed the play at the line of scrimmage. Goodwin ran vertically up the field. Garoppolo threw horizontally toward the sideline.
4. WR Kendrick Bourne. Caught none of his four targets. Dropped a deep pass while running a go route and a short pass while running a slant. Also fell while running an out route in the end zone. Has not played well during training camp.
5. RB Raheem Mostert. Fumbled during his third carry of practice. Not a lead running back.
6. DT Jullian Taylor. Missed practice with a stomach ache.