SANTA CLARA – Here’s what stood out to me during the 49ers’ ninth day of training camp.
1. Kezar Stadium. Better than Levi’s Stadium.
2. San Francisco. Better than Santa Clara.
3. HC Chip Kelly. Made his offense practice huddling for the first time this offseason. Perhaps he has evolved.
4. RB Shaun Draughn. Caught a team-high seven passes. Ran swing routes, Texas routes, crossing routes and even bubble screens. A central figure in the Niners’ passing game.
5. RB Mike Davis. Caught a deep pass down the sideline while running a wheel route during 7-on-7s, and caught a short pass in traffic while running an option route in the red zone. Good receiver. Similar to Draughn. Could make the team as the backup third-down back.
6. WR DiAndre Campbell. Beat cornerback Tramaine Brock with a square-in route to convert a fourth-and-10 (Blaine Gabbert threw the pass). This was the only catch Brock allowed today.
6. WR Devon Cajuste. Beat cornerback Dontae Johnson for a touchdown catch with a crossing route along the back boundary of the end zone. Thad Lewis threw the pass.
7. QB Jeff Driskel. Reached the second read in his progression three times and the third read once. Completed 8-of-14 passes. Would have completed 12 but his receivers dropped four.
8. QB Blaine Gabbert. Reached the second read five times and the third read two times. Threw a touchdown pass to his second read (DeAndrew White) down the left sideline after initially looking for a receiver on the right side of the field.
THE NOT SO GOOD
1. DE Arik Armstead. Did not participate in team drills for the second day in a row.
2. Colin Kaepernick. Completed only 3-of-8 passes during 11-on-11s and just 12-of-23 passes overall. Stared at the first read of the progression much longer than the other quarterbacks. Never reached his third read. Never scanned from one side of the field to the other. Cut the field in half with his eyes. Telegraphed a pass to Quinton Patton deep down the middle of the field and Antione Bethea nearly picked it off. Also fumbled the snap twice.
Here are my notes from practice: