Penn State running back Saquon Barkley runs a drill during the NFL football scouting combine, Friday, March 2, 2018, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)Note: This mock draft could change dramatically after free agency.
1. Cleveland Browns: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State.
Analysis: Barkley is the best player in the draft. He will tremendously help whichever quarterback the Browns get.
2. New York Giants: Sam Darnold, QB, USC.
Analysis: The Giants have to draft an heir apparent to Eli Manning while they’re in position to do so.
TRADE: Buffalo sends two first-round picks this year, plus a first-rounder and a second-rounder next year to Indianapolis in exchange for the third pick this year.
3. Buffalo Bills: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA.
Analysis: The Bills are a playoff team that needs a quarterback who’s ready to play right away. Rosen can play right away.
4. Cleveland Browns: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming.
Analysis: Allen is raw — he needs a season to sit on the bench and develop. And the Browns can afford to sit him. They’re years away from being good. Allen is the perfect quarterback for them.
5. Denver Broncos: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame.
Analysis: This assumes the Broncos sign a veteran quarterback such as Kirk Cousins or Case Keenum.
6. New York Jets: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma.
Analysis: This assumes the Jets don’t sign Cousins or Keenum.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State.
Analysis: The Buccaneers defense ranked last in sacks last season.
8. Chicago Bears: Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech.
TRADE: Green Bay send a first-round pick, a third-round pick and a fourth-round pick to San Francisco in exchange for the ninth pick.
9. Green Bay Packers: Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/S, Alabama.
Analysis: Fitzpatrick joins the Alabama connection in the Packers secondary with safety Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix.
10. Oakland Raiders: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State.
Analysis: Ward joins the Ohio State connection in the Raiders secondary with cornerback Gareon Conley.
11. Miami Dolphins: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia.
Analysis: Smith will replace veteran linebacker Lawrence Timmons.
12. Cincinnati Bengals: Derwin James, S, Florida State.
Analysis: The Bengals need an offensive tackle, but won’t reach for one here. Instead, they’ll take best defensive player.
13. Washington Redskins: Vita Vea, DT, Washington.
Analysis: The Redskins run defense was abysmal last season.
14. San Francisco 49ers: Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia.
Analysis: The 49ers have to protect Jimmy Garoppolo. Wynn can play any position on the offensive line.
15. Arizona Cardinals: Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville.
Analysis: Jackson will give the Cardinal an electric rushing threat to pair with running back David Johnson.